Saturday, September 10, 2011

Socal's Blackout 9/8/2011


If you watch the news regularly or if you live in South California then you are pretty much aware of what happened last Thursday evening. 
Here is my personal take of the unprecedented SDG&E's error that left most of California and Baja California (Mexico) without power:

While Having a late lunch/early dinner with my mom and her boyfriend we were startled when the kitchen lights went off, the washer came to a sudden stop, and the ceiling fan stop flowing the much needed fresh air. I IMMEDIATELY got on my phone and called my boyfriend, who I knew was in class at SDSU. 
You see, 10 years ago the United states of America experienced an act of terror that left most of us traumatized every time September 11th comes along. 

So here I was trying to call him and informed him that the lights went out. I really needed him to get on a computer and check right away what was going on. I just had a really bad feeling. 
When he didn't answer, cause he was in class, I started looking for a battery radio. When I couldn't find any at my house, I got the brilliant idea of going to the car. While listening to the radio, I noticed that most of the stations were playing music with out commercials or breaks. Most other stations had an eery silence. I began to PANIC! 

Fortunately, the spanish stations were the only ones giving us updates of what was going on. I listened for what seem forever. They kept announcing that not only San diego had lost power but also Tijuana, then Ensenada, Rosarito and even Arizona. The worst part of it all was that while I was in the parked car on my driveway, the weather was at a 98 degrees. 


While listening to the radio I heard people calling in asking if this was some sort of terrorist act or the beginning stages of one. by that time  I was freaking out!
 1 hour passed, still no news of what was going on. 
2 hours more, the spanish news station finally got ahold of a national security person and  they were trying to get answers. 
While we all waited for the news caster to come on air, I was biting my nails and thinking of all the things I needed to do in case we had to evacuate. I was so mad that I had nothing ready. After what felt another Eternity, the news caster came on air informing everybody that the Mexican and United states officials where doing all they could to find out what was going on and to stop any kind of civilian terrorist act. That calmed me a bit. but only a micro bit. 
I did spend an hour calling Manny. Specially after he informed me via text that his college was now evacuating everybody by siren. I tried to get things ready in case we had to evacuate too.
 Still, I had nothing useful in case of an emergency. 
I had no candles (only some half used scented candles) 
I had no batteries for the billions of flashlights 
I had no emergency kit.
Totally unprepared. 

After I returned to the car, all my fears vanished. When I turned the car on and the radio turn on I heard the most amazing news I needed
 (Translation):
"Listeners, there is no need to panic since we just got word that the San Diego Gas and electric are the ones  who made an error. This is not a terrorist act. There is no need to panic"
I immediately called Manny and told him not to panic. I explained the good news. We were so relieved :)


Of course, we were still without any power and the sun was starting to set. 
But at that point I didn't care. I went inside. Turned on my candles and enjoyed a peaceful sunset. It was such a beautiful ending to such a terrible experience. The sunset was so beautiful thanks to the lack of street lights and lights from the houses. 
The moon never shined brighter over San Diego. 



Funny part was around 9pm, after 6 hours of no power, the lights came back on. We heard screams of joy coming from down the street and the rest of the town. Cars were honking while people took out to the streets to cheer. I was just glad to see that Kusi news were on the air sharing on the good news of the power coming back on to the San Diego counties. 


All in all, it was a terrible experienced. But I am glad we are ok. I am thankful for those who kept San Diego Informed. And I regret not having a Smartphone with internet because My life would have been a lot better I had had an easier means of getting information about what was going on with this Blackout. 

credit: all images used are from Google Images: "San Diego Blackout 2011"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment